Recipes to nourish a tasty Autumn. Try them, they’re a breeze ;)
The boys love to help me make this cake, just as much as they love to eat it ! Jasper is a little too young just yet to fully comprehend the actions of kitchen alchemy and so, just like his big brother did, he learns from watching Mama's familiar steps over and again.
We must have made this cake dozens of times. Gluten free, vegan and nutrient enhanced versions have all been tried. Each attempt has been in the very least edible and a testament to the forgiving nature of this rather delectable and enthusiastically dubbed 'orgasmic' Banana cake.
To follow is the basic recipe - written entirely from memory as I've made it so often - from which you may like to create.
- All your ripe and ready bananas, about 450 grams
- 120 grams of pitted dates
- 70 grams of almonds ground to a meal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs (vegan ? use an egg substitute - worked for me !)
- 2 Tablespoons any milk
- 2 cups of flour (add 2 tsp baking soda if the flour is any version of 'plain')
- 130 grams Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Mollasses (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons coconut sugar (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees.
- Grease & line a 23cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Mash or blend together your bananas and dates (if mashing, it will be helpful to soften the dates by soaking them in warm water and then discarding the water)
- Add all the remaining ingredients and thoroughly combine.
- Pour your Banana cake batter into your prepared tin and blow it a kiss as you pop it into your oven.
- Drape her in a foil blanket after about 30 minutes to prevent 'over tanning'.
- All up (and depending on your oven) your Banana cake yumminess will be ready in around an hour.
- Insert a stick through the middle to see if your well-loved batter is now cake.
- If so, yay congratulations on creating magic today !
- Feeling elated by your success thus far, remove your creation from the oven and place in the tin on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Then, turn it out and let cool a little before diving in.
- Delicious with a hot cup of tea, enjoyed solo or with equally delighted company.
Did you try it ? Did you love it ? Let me know in the comments below ! I love to hear from you.